Sure, a week in a five-star resort may be nice, but we think it’s a lot more fun to kick back in a more unusual way when we go on vacation. Whether the destination is hot or cold, the accommodations luxe or a little more on the rustic side, it’s always a thrill to check out unique destinations to give your leisure time a bit of an edge.
Check out our top six picks for some of the most intriguing hotels on the face of the earth!
1) The Bangkok Treehouse: Looking for the best of both the big city and the natural realm? Head to Bangkok, Thailand – a locale known best for being a teeming metropolis – and check into the Bangkok Treehouse. This unique hotel offers creative accommodations that harness the natural beauty of the country. Their “View with Room” is just one of the mostly outdoor rooms you can escape to for a romantically rustic getaway.
2) Argos in Cappadocia: The subterranean caves in this converted Turkish monastery are what really set it apart from the average hotel. The Argos is actually built into the side of a mountain in the mystical village of Uchisar. The service at the hotel is at a five-star level, and guests have full access to underground tunnels and pools, a myriad of cultural offerings and Argos’ very own private vineyard.
3) Whitepod Les Cerniers: This breathtaking Swiss concept hotel consists of luxurious and eco-friendly “pods” situated in the Swiss Alps, overlooking Lake Geneva. Channel your sense of alpine adventure as you trek from the resort reception base to your pod using your very own map and climbing gear. Once you’ve arrived at your pod, however, the pampering begins. Each geometric dome is equipped with snuggly beds and a charming fire place. Oh, and did we mention there’s a private ski lift for Whitepod guests only?
4) Longitude 131: Experience the Australian outback in a whole new way in one of Longitude 131’s solar-powered tents. Take in the pristine beauty of several Australian wilderness landmarks and enjoy deliciously fresh cuisine al under a blanket of dazzling stars or blue sky!
5) Fregate: Touting itself as the original “luxury eco-retreat,” this lovely private island in the African Seychelles is made up of beautiful African teak villas overlooking pristine beaches. The resort boasts a state-of-the-art spa, its own cultural museum, and is considered one of the foremost sanctuaries for a range of endangered plants and animals. Talk about saving the world from the vantage point of a lounge chair!
6) Lake Manyara: Located in the heart of Tanzania, this east African getaway describes itself as a Tree Lodge – which is made up of an intimate 10 tree houses. When you’re not gazing down at African wildlife or watching stunning Tanzanian sunsets, indulge in an in-room spa experience and a delicious meal of locale delicacies!
Via Guest of a Guest